Thursday, January 3, 2008

Oh, this is good!

I was reading Dear Prudence and there was a letter from someone saying how his dear wife wouldn't pass gas in front of him before they were married, and the one time she did she was mortified. But now that they have been married a year she just lets them rip and it is affecting his attraction to her. She gets mad when he brings it up, but also gets mad if he passes gas in front of her.

I kind of empathize with her a bit, because I was mortified to pass gas in front of my hubby, even a couple years into our marriage. (I still blame it on the kids, hehe) I would chastise Donnie for not going into the bathroom to pass it, where I would politely go IF I ever passed gas. (as IF) Donnie insisted that I should not do that, because holding it in hurts and isn't good for you, so I should just let it go. It's fine, no problem.
So then, during one of my pregnancies, all control left me and I passed gas a lot. I couldn't control it. I was mortified. But assured that it was OK, and encouraged, I quite fighting it.
Guess what happened? Donnie didn't quite enjoy that. He admits it is a double standard, but now he prefers that I go on pretending that women do not fart.

In Dear Prudence's answer was an amazing little gem that I just had to share with you all.

I recommend you get a copy of the out-of-print
Selected Letters of James Joyce and read
together his writings about his wife,
such as, "I think I would know Nora's
fart anywhere. I think I could pick
hers out in a roomful of farting
women." Now that's love.
She is right. That is love. And I am pretty sure Donnie could pick mine out, too. LOL

2 comments:

Sassyfrazz said...

All I gotta say is,
"Farts are funny!"

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Knowing James Joyce, he was probably being a jerk about it. What I love about my husband is that he really doesn't care about farts, which was good when I too came down with the pregnancy flatulence!

Blog Hoppers!

View My Stats